Akropolis looks like one such company that aims to solve the pension deficit problem with the help of blockchain technology. The company is building a blockchain platform, which aims to improve transparency and efficiency in an industry that has not been doing too well.
The Pension Ponzi Scheme
Most economic and financial experts agree that we are headed towards trouble. Much of Western Europe and the U.S. have an aging population with birth rates at an all time low. The number of people who make contributions to social security and pension programs has been going down. Meanwhile the number of pensioners that draw money out of the pool has been growing bigger and bigger thanks to longer life spans.
Even now the effects of this change are felt with rising medical care costs and reducing old-age benefits. Analysts believe that it is one of the biggest bubbles that we will see burst in our lifetimes. Governments and central treasury banks cannot keep raising debt ceiling to provide medicaid and medicare to people forever. Young adults who are contributing to these programs will realize that they won’t get anything out in the future and they will stop making payments. That is when the house of cards will come down in a crash.
Tokenizing Pension through Blockchain
Rather than addressing the structural flaws in the current pension system, many governments have kept their eyes closed. This has opened the doors for private sector to come forward and offer a better solution.
Akropolis entered the field in late 2017 and already shows promising signs of delivering good results. The company published its whitepaper in 2017 and claims to have signed mutual partnership contracts with a number of stakeholders in the industry.
They are currently working on their platform which is scheduled to be launched in the last quarter of 2018. The beta testing has already been concluded which was launched for angel investors that signed up with the company.
The management and development team behind the company looks impressive with some big names in the cryptocurrency world involved in this project. Anastasia Andrianova is at the helm and she has previous worked with Blockchain Ecosystem Network and also advised Dr. Gavin Woods Web3 foundation which built the Ethereum and Ripple platforms.
The development team is led by Kate Kurbanova with support from Peter Robertson from Vanguard UK and Adrian Manning, a director at Sigma Prime. The advisors working with the company have a proven record in ICO launch and crypto trading.
Akropolis Technical Analysis
If we look at some of the token sale milestones achieved so far, the project appears to be well on its way to making an impact. There are no direct competitors offering similar features as Akropolis. The token supply is set at 900,000,000 with hard cap at $25 million. 40% of the token will be sold to public with 30% being offered to developers and support team. A further 20% will be kept in reserve for future partnerships.
50% of the proceeds are expected to be spent on talent acquisition and project development. The rest will be utilized to run operations, legal acquisitions and marketing.
The Akropolis ecosystem will have four types of users.
- The developers and operators who will help create the platform and keep it operational.
- The individual users who will buy and use the pension products.
- Institutional users who will provide capital to gain access to various services and informations.
- Fund managers and advisors who will create new products, smart contracts and provide expert services in exchange for fees.
- The coin will function with a dual token system in the Akropolis platform. The company intends to allow external users to facilitate trade in AKT (Akropolis External Token) with the system. Internal users will be able to use AIT (Akropolis Internal Token) which will represent a stable coin and bookkeeping tool that will track and record the capital flow internally within the system.Overall, we believe the economic model is sound and the unique approach of the platform will allow it to make a space in the crypto markets. How the platform develops and improves in the future will decide where it goes from here.